Search This Blog

Monday, October 16

Moooo… or whatever the Japanese Deer Said

Wouldn’t know what teh Japanese deer said because I couldn’t read the signs. Yet again.

Along with Japanese deer, we also saw something that we guessed to be a breed of panda…







A breed of crocodile with a very skinny snot…








Lots and lots o’ monkeys (like having my family with me again *wa-wa-wa-waaahh*) (Psst - Can anyone explain what they are doing in this picture?)






Peacocks or at least something similar to them…








My fav, the peng-bird species…









All that and more… some marsupial thing, flamingos, lions, tigers and a fake bear – oh, my! Seriously – a fake polar bear behind a heavily locked cage that obviously housed a bear in the distant past. Just buy another one already and dump the silly fake.

Yes, we were at the zoo on Sunday! The Nogeyama Zoo in Yokohama. We actually managed to walk there from the train station twenty minutes away with no directions and didn’t even get lost. There was one very long all uphill stretch where I almost quit and headed right back to the train station. But the thought of going to the zoo kept me going. Or was it my obstinate inner self merely living another bad Nike commercial? Either way, we made it there and the zoo was… mweh. About the size of the Washington Zoo with a lot more hills. They say there were 110 species but I think they might have counted the bugs that happen to live in Yokohama. Why, you are asking, did you get such shoddy descriptions of the animals? That is a mighty fine question! And the mighty fine answer would be that all of the signs were in Japanese (uh… duh) and they had nicely provided an English translation… but guess what the English said... the scientific name! Which did us no good whatsoever. While I really love sharing with you all, I simply refuse to try to learn the scientific names for 110 species on any given day. I have to do that learning stuff soon enough. I can’t be made to do it now in addition!

Once you are all done with looking at the pretty animals, there is a petting zoo! They will let you hold baby chicks, white mice, black mice, tan mice, gerbils and even a small rooster. This was the only place at the zoo that was entirely packed! They were going nuts for this. One girl even wrapped two gerbils in a Barbie blanket to hold them and keep them warm.




After an hour or so, we had seen enough of the zoo and went in search of nourishment. CoCo Curry is the new Mickey D’s! My nose ran; my eyes watered; it was just right.

I do wonder where they get their meat from, what with the zoo being so close and all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think CPR.....

Anonymous said...

what kind of zoo is this? the animals look like they're all breeding among each other! this is weird!
and i think you're hair looks good :)
BB

Kimono Karen said...

We thought the animals were strange too. But what do we know when this was the first time ever seeing exotic animals from this side of the world. :)

CPR - ha!

Blonde again! I found an American hairdresser who repaired the damage I had done but made me promise to never touch my own hair again. My fingers were totally crossed behind my back.